- This is a position that requires a motivated, well-organized, and caring individual. This individual must be knowledgeable and skillful in animal husbandry and the veterinary nursing care of all equine and large animal patients.
- Specialty Service Management – Manages and directs the staff assigned to the specialty services of Surgery, Medicine, and Reproduction. Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and discipline as needed. Manage staff schedules including on-call, holiday, annual, and sick leave coverage. Approve time. Train staff on EMR and other regularly utilized software/computer programs.
- Patient Care Services – Supervises and participates in daily outpatient, inpatient, and emergency patient care. Coordinates daily workflow of cases including charge entry, medical records completion. Restrain patients for exams, aid in the positioning of patients for diagnostic purposes, and assist in performing exams, procedures, and treatments.
- Surgical Nursing - Supervises and participates as a surgical nurse during routine and emergency procedures; assist with anesthetic inductions and proper preparation of patients for surgery; prepare all items that are needed for surgery; complete and record surgical fee forms, surgical records and enter charges. Ensures that the surgical suite is set up properly for emergency procedures; ensures that surgical suites are properly cleaned after surgery; Independently sets up and maintains specialized diagnostic equipment such as: (endoscope, ultrasound, arthroscopy, c-arm, digital x-ray, camera, etc. May be required to assist in anesthesia setup and monitoring during surgeries. Also, clean and prepare surgical instruments for sterilization; operate steam sterilizers, ultrasonic cleaner, instrument washer, heat sealer, and other; mechanical, electronic, and surgical equipment.
- Facility, Equipment, and Supply – Ensures service areas, supplies and equipment are available, prepared, and in good working order in support of current and future activities. Coordinate regularly scheduled checks of medications and supplies for expiration dates. Maintains a master log of all service equipment to include purchase date, purchase cost, expected life, estimated replacement time and cost, repair/maintenance dates, and issues. Create and maintain equipment weekly service/cleaning log of all electronic equipment with a focus on the loss of use prevention. Assist in maintaining compliance with hospital Bio-Security procedures and protocols as they relate to the duties and performance of veterinary service technicians.
- Administration – Contributes to the planning and ongoing management of departmental budgets for supervised services. Serves as an investigator in the management of the Incident Management Reporting system. Supervises the daily census to ensure proper tracking of caseload and revenue related to charges assessed to supervised service patients. Acts as liaison with service faculty, house officers, staff, and client services in the daily management of caseload through the Large Animal Hospital. Will assist in generating treatment plan estimates.
- Service Operations Education – Schedules and coordinates Specialty Service Technician training and continuing education as well as the annual technician skills assessment testing.
- Student Instruction – Direct instruction to veterinary students to provide training of veterinary students in proper large animal handling and patient care with a focus on safety.
High school diploma or equivalent and four years of experience loading, unloading, restraining, handling, and treating horses or two years of experience loading, unloading, restraining, handling, and treating horses in a veterinary academic teaching hospital.
Credentialed veterinary technician (CVT/LVT/RVT) or Certified Veterinary Practice Manager (CVPM).
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Resume/CV, Cover Letter, and references required to be considered.
This position has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.