The ideal candidate will possess:
• For hires at the Senior Director level - At least 8 years of major gift fundraising experience with documented success in cultivating and soliciting major gifts of $100,000 and above from individual and corporate prospects with campaign experience. For hires at the Director level - at least 5 years of major gift fundraising experience with documented success in cultivating and soliciting major gifts of $100,000 and above from individual and corporate prospects with campaign experience.
• Prior experience in a college or university setting, enthusiasm for fundraising in a comprehensive research university, and the desire to work collegially within a goal-oriented fundraising organization.
• Knowledge of fundraising principles, methods, and standards.
• Experience in developing solicitation strategies.
• Experience in development and alumni relations and/or external affairs with demonstrated accomplishment in fostering productive relationships with volunteers and developing volunteer leadership.
• Ability to work strategically, implement and build constituency programs and activities is highly desired.
• A strong understanding of budgeting practices and financial accountability and the ability to manage resources with prudence and efficiency.
• Proven skills handling multiple priorities and work pressure.
• Must be an outstanding communicator and possess excellent written and oral communication skills; interpersonal skills; and the ability to work collegially and interact effectively with a diverse constituency.
• An appreciation for and track record of active support of diversity in the workplace in all its forms; proven success working with volunteers; excellent strategic planning and project management skills; experience in a data-driven environment; organizational skills; and the ability to lead, influence and motivate others.
• Effective time management and organizational skills are essential for success in this position.
• Ability to work both independently and as a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside College of Public Health and Health Professions.
• The incumbent should have a working knowledge of personal computers, MS Office, WWW browsers, preferably Internet Explorer, E-mail. Experience with a donor database, contact management and tracking system.
• The ability and willingness to travel are required. A valid driver license and good driving record which meets insurance liability requirements are essential*
*Business expenses are reimbursed through a standard accounting system. The ability to pay for expenses using your own personal credit card or funds and have them reimbursed is essential.
UF Advancement has defined the following critical competencies for organizational and position specific success:
• Relationship Mastery - Identifies, targets and strategically builds relationships with colleagues, prospects, donors and volunteers
o Establishes and maintains effective relationships; demonstrating genuine interest in the well-being and opinions of others and recognizing common ground with individuals from varying backgrounds
o Anticipates conversational direction with ability to swiftly adapt and diffuse high tension situations
o Successfully identifies the proper timing, medium and consistency to engage stakeholders
o Exhibits a high level of emotional intelligence in all interactions
• Donor Focus - Ability to establish, cultivate and steward prospects/ donors to build and maintain lifelong partnerships and trust on behalf of the institution
o Consistently searches for ways to improve the donor experience centralizing all efforts and tasks around meeting their needs
o Matches donor/prospect passions with university priorities, involving the right people and resources at the right time
o Places prospect/ donor needs ahead of personal success
o Utilizes resources, remains flexible and creatively suggests individualized engagement activities
• Tenacity - Ability to demonstrate the discipline and resilience necessary to successfully achieve goals and strategies
o Identifies and seizes opportunities, setting “stretch” goals and exceeding them (always looking for the next rung on the ladder)
o Ability to re-direct prospects from distractions and non-productive requests (in control but not seemingly in control)
o Strong commitment to close gifts (every day is a domino)
o Does not give up in the face of obstacles (master of “No”)
• Credibility - Displays responsible, reliable and trustworthy actions
o Acts in an ethical and authentic manner to support the mission of the university, demonstrating a “can do” spirit, sense of ownership, urgency and commitment
o Stay current on functional and technical aspects of one’s job seeking opportunities to acquire new knowledge and skills
o Promotes and establishes trust, respect and rapport utilizing diplomacy and tact
o Fulfills commitments made to donors, colleagues and university partners
• Entrepreneurial Spirit - Ability to generate creative solutions and take risks
o Understands current environment and possesses the ability to adapt to new opportunities and challenges
o Generates innovative ideas, solutions and opportunities to positively impact results (doesn’t order from the menu)
o Learns from success and failure with a drive to succeed (hates to lose)
o Accepts, embraces and leads change
• Engaging Communication - Ability to attentively listen and express oneself clearly and empathetically in interactions with others in all forms of communication
o Possesses the ability to engage and inspire
o Successfully reads verbal and non-verbal cues adapting communication style and strategy as needed
o Demonstrates active listening and understands the art of asking questions to skillfully obtain more complete information
o Commands attention when speaking and presenting to individuals or groups
• Strategic Thinking - Ability to develop strategies and plans that integrate into the organization’s mission, priorities and goals
o Ability to effectively synthesize information and data to evaluate and prioritize prospects/donors in a larger context (knows their prospects)
o Ability to document and illustrate a comprehensive engagement strategy with realistic timelines
o Collaboratively engages colleagues and academic partners and integrates their knowledge into strategy
o Ability to think big, and create bold and inspiring tactics
• Mission Driven - Fundamentally identifies with the core mission to create awareness, build relationships, generate support and recognize donors for the purpose of advancing the university
o Considers national trends and best practices of advancement within higher education
o Possesses a solid appreciation of UF history, culture and tradition
o Understands the power of philanthropy and how to engage donors toward achieving their goals
o Creates advocates for the university through the ability to “visualize dreams”, “ask”, and “close”