Job no: 522136
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Communications/Public Relations/Marketing, Veteran's Preference Eligible
Department:47002500 - UP-MARKETING
This position coordinates and implements publicity campaigns for books published by the State University System Press (University Press of Florida), with an emphasis on promoting books written for nonacademic audiences, as well as coordinating and contributing to various aspects of the Press’s external communications strategy. The focus of the work will be to raise the profile of the Press and its books among general audiences and stakeholders by securing book reviews and other media coverage, planning and coordinating content across the Press’s social media accounts, and communicating about the activities of the Press and its authors through other platforms and channels. This position helps build and maintain relationships with external partners and prepares a significant amount of external messaging on behalf of the Press. This position requires strong skills in organization, prioritization, and time management. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential.
Some travel required.
- Identifies the most appropriate audiences for assigned titles;
- Formulates how to best position and pitch assigned titles to those audiences;
- Writes marketing copy and press releases;
- Solicits and collects advance promotional statements (blurbs) for assigned titles;
- Researches, organizes, and develops media lists and contacts;
- Develops and maintains relationships with contacts at trade media as well as editors and journalists in subjects the Press publishes;
- Pitches and facilitates book reviews and book-related features in local, national, and international media;
- Arranges author interviews on podcasts, radio, and television;
- Schedules book signings, author talks, and other book-related events;
- Maintains Press events calendar and promotes upcoming events;
- Maintains Press database with excerpts from reviews received and other publicity highlights;
- Tracks and regularly reports media coverage for Press books;
- Prepares and monitors publicity component of annual marketing budget;
- Works closely with authors, frequently and proactively communicating to coordinate publicity plans and efforts;
- Works closely with the marketing department staff to align publicity efforts with departmental initiatives and goals;
- Communicates with colleagues throughout the press to acquire an understanding of book projects during the developmental and production stages, as well as to share the results of publicity efforts for published books.
Social Media Coordination
- Coordinates the content calendar for the Press social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, WordPress);
- Communicates with marketing department staff to incorporate content from all areas of the department into the calendar, balancing and scheduling content created and prepared by other staff members within the overall Press social media program;
- Tracks appropriate holidays, anniversaries, and other occasions for highlighting Press books, suggesting and coordinating campaigns for these occasions;
- Creates written and visual content for social media;
- Monitors all Press social media accounts and provides regular updates of metrics and highlights;
- Remains informed of current trends and best practices in social media marketing.
- Assists the Marketing Manager and Director in implementing the Press’s external communications strategy;
- Plans and creates the Press’s monthly e-newsletters;
- Writes content for other external-facing platforms and channels as needed;
- Assists the Marketing Manager in planning and promoting publishing symposiums and other informational events hosted by the Press.
$15.00 per hour
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Strong working knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word and Excel), database programs (such as Access or FileMaker), and social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WordPress, etc.).
- One year of related professional experience. Priority will be given to experience in book publishing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; writes clearly and engagingly for a variety of audiences (e.g. marketing copy, press releases, and blog posts).
- Strong skills in organization, prioritization, and time management.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Experience working with the media or in publicity.
- Familiarity with email marketing programs (such as MailChimp or Constant Contact), Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, and Cat’s Pajamas Publisher Program.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Presence in Gainesville area preferred; this is an in person position and not eligible to be fully remote.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
|Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply nowRefer a friend