Biological Scientist III
Job no: 507905
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine
Department:60180000 - AG-ENVIRONMENTAL HORTICULTURE
Biological Scientist III
- The incumbent will conduct experiments associated with in vitro transformation of plants and gene cloning. This involves transformation of genes into horticultural plants using Agrobacterium tumefaciens and CRISPR/cas and completing analysis of genetically engineered plants using various means of DNA/ RNA and/or GC analysis. This also associates with cloning and manipulating the genes, and analyzing the function of the genes involved in various plant processes. This work includes summaries of data in written form, search of biological databases, and the preparation of publications and presentations.
- The incumbent will develop novel methods and procedures for screening plants for a variety of traits including resistance to pathogens, production of secondary metabolites, and other visual or microscopic phenotypes. The developed procedures will be supervised and delivered to student assistants and clients. The incumbent will precede the analysis samples from clients and prepare graphical images of research data reports and will present the results to visitors or clients.
- The incumbent will supervise approximately 2-4 OPS or Student Assistants by managing students’ schedules and supervising their work and time, and teach student assistants about concepts and techniques of molecular biology and plant tissue culture. The incumbent will manage the laboratory including lab safety training, hazardous waste training, and purchasing and managing equipment and materials.
Doctoral degree in biology or a closely related field and two years of experience in the field or in a related area; or master’s degree in biology or a closely related field and five years of experience in the field or in a related area; or bachelor’s degree in biology or a closely related field and seven years of experience in the field or in a related area.
Molecular Biology, Tissue Culture, Physiology, Biochemistry, Analytical and Wet lab experience.
1) Experience with plant transformation using Agrobacterium tumefaciens.
2) Experience with analysis of transgenic plants using standard molecular techniques.
3) Experience with bioinformatics and gene cloning.
4) Experience with analysis using GC or HPLC.
5) Experience with growing and inoculating bacterial and fungal pathogens.
6) Knowledge of recombinant DNA technology.
7) Knowledge of safe laboratory practices.
8) Knowledge of general horticultural practices.
9) Knowledge of basic computer programs.
10) Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
For consideration submit a cover letter, resume, and list of references.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
|Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply nowRefer a friend