The McIntosh Research Laboratory at the University of Florida’s Child Health Research Institute, seeks a highly motivated Postdoctoral Research Associate to join a team exploring the roles of novel infectious agents in diseases of unknown etiology or emerging epidemiology.
Research emphasis is on detection and characterization of potential pathogens and investigating host microbial interactions to reveal underlying mechanisms of disease as well as targets for diagnosis or intervention. Broad areas of study include microbial, in particular viral, discovery in the context of clinical diseases of unknown etiology, at the human animal/vector interface, and in the contexts of immunocompromise or cancer.
Specialized expertise is sought in three or more of the following: Molecular Biology, LINUX/UNIX and Python scripting, MySQL, metagenomics, transcriptomics, epigenetics, statistics, and/or SNP analysis of human genomes in the context of cancer.
• Designing and performing experiments using a variety of techniques including: conventional and realtime PCR/RT-PCR, immunoprecipitation, chromatin immunoprecipitation, Western blotting, FACS, Sanger sequencing, next-generation sequencing, and various Capture-Seq approaches, CRISPR-Cas editing of genomes, virus isolation of suspect human, animal and insect pathogens, transfection and transduction of cells, transformation of cells to establish new cell lines, reverse genetics of viruses, cloning and protein purification.
• Maintaining proper lab records.
• Providing guidance and training for undergraduate and graduate student researchers.
• Preparation of manuscripts. May also assist in grant writing.
• Laboratory maintenance, including equipment maintenance, and ordering of supplies as needed.
• Other duties as assigned, which may include attending scientific conferences and meetings.
The laboratory (BSL2) is situated in an academic research building at the main campus in Gainesville surrounded by many excellent labs and core facilities (including BSL3 and insect facilities) with tremendous training opportunities for cutting-edge techniques.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please upload your Cover Letter or Letter of Interest including a statement of your research accomplishments and interests, Curriculum Vitae or Resume and List of References to this application.
Final Candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered "official" if a designation of "issued to student" is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by the National Association of Credentialed Evaluation Services (NACES) which can be found at http://www.naces.org/.
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.