Bioinformatics Analyst III
As part of our Division of Quantitative Sciences and the Biostatistics & Quantitative Sciences Shared Resource, you will be responsible for leading the bioinformatics unit and for mining and analyzing large, complex, and unstructured biological datasets for our membership as they conduct critical oncology research across the University of Florida.
This is a highly visible, essential position critical to the mission and vision of the UFHCC as well as to the successful progression and development of cancer research at the University of Florida. In your role, you must present a professional demeanor and attitude, maintain a high level of confidentiality, and exercise independent judgment when completing assigned tasks and responsibilities.
In your new role you will be responsible for the following:
- Developing, modifying, and applying software, algorithms, or pipelines to genomic or other biological data sets with the goal of understanding biological processes, diseases, or disorders in support of cancer researchers.
- Developing databases to compile vast amounts of information from research activities conducted by UFHCC members and their labs.
- Creating data algorithms and specialized computer software to identify and classify components of cancer biology and related areas to analyze data sets.
- Designing and analyzing experiments or data sets. Developing mathematical models for integrating disparate data sources for deeper analysis.
- Assisting in the analysis and interpretation of research results and contributing to publications and/or presentations.
- Enhancing knowledge base and practices through continuing education activities, such as computational biology and/or statistical meetings, webinars, and seminars.
These responsibilities require an extensive skillset in bioinformatics, data management, and statistical analyses (at the advanced graduate level) as you will be called upon to independently program, conduct statistical analyses, select and apply appropriate statistical methods, take steps to ensure that your work meets a high standard of quality, and work efficiently and diligently to meet your project deadlines.
A complete job description will be provided to candidates selected for interview.
$80,000 - $100,000; Commensurate with Education and Experience.
A master's degree in appropriate area of specialization and two years of experience or a bachelor's degree and four years of experience.
As an ideal candidate you will have/be:
- A Ph.D. in bioinformatics, biostatistics, or related field and relevant research training and experience, or a M.S. with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required.
- Diverse expertise in data management and statistical methods (SAS, R, etc.) are essential to perform the essential functions of this position, programming skills (Stata, SQL, SPSS, C++, Python, Excel, etc.).
- Strong interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to work with a broad range of people including investigators, industry sponsors, partners at other institutions, UFHCC staff, and others.
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently, interact professionally, and utilize effective writing and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated understanding and effective use of Emotional Intelligence strategies and skills.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Forward-thinking mentality, actively seeking opportunities and proposing creative solutions with strong decision-making capability.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders and critical staff, both internally and externally, through a variety of communication mediums and venues.
- Demonstrated data analysis skills with ability to synthesize aggregate data into meaningful operational metric and benchmarking reports and to communicate that data in meaningful ways to stakeholders.
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders across functions to optimize performance and drive projects to completion.
- Excellent meeting management, group facilitation, and consultation skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel, Word.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information, and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
Applicants must upload a copy of the following documents to be considered for this position:
- Cover Letter or Letter of Interest
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- List of Three Professional References
This is a time limited position.
This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not apply.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
|Health Assessment Required: