Job no: 507452
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine
Department:28314000 - VM-VETERINARY COMM OUTRCH PROG
Veterinary Technician I/II (CARE)
UF’s Veterinary Community Outreach Program is recruiting for a Veterinary Technician to help with the daily activities involved in this program. The program is a clinical rotation for junior and senior veterinary students. The program is designed to introduce students to the challenges of veterinary practice in both community and shelter environments and give experience in spay and neuter techniques of canine and felines. This position will work closely with clinicians and students in providing the necessary care to potentially adoptable pets.
This position will report to the veterinary technician manager and assist in providing instruction and demonstration to students. The person is expected to communicate effectively and demonstrate critical thinking and professionalism. This position requires a strong knowledge of veterinary nursing care and techniques especially in the field of anesthesia and surgery. This position requires a post offer health assessment and criminal background check.
This is a position that requires a motivated, well-organized and caring individual. This individual must be knowledgeable and skillful in the nursing care of animal patients.
- Provide veterinary technician support for VCOP (stationary and mobile). Must have strong knowledge and experience in small animal anesthesia and surgery. Experience with anesthesia of pediatric patients is desired
- Observe and report perioperative changes in patient status.
- Demonstrate caring behavior with all patients, and communicate effectively with local rescue group clients of the service.
- Participate in and provide technical support for animal shelter visits and community clinics as needed
- Ensure that patients are prepped in a timely fashion to keep the service flowing. Prepares patient skin for surgery in accordance with hospital standard.
- Assembles surgical supplies and equipment needed for surgical procedures.
- Prepares surgical instrument table.
- Maintains aseptic techniques and actively monitors situations which could lead to breaches in aseptic technique.
Teaching students and assistants:
- Assist students and staff in learning various techniques, protocols, and procedures involved in both surgery and anesthesia including but not limited to venipuncture, catheter placement, intubation, anesthesia monitoring, sterile techniques, proper instrumentation, bandaging, etc.
- Orient veterinary students and OPS staff in their duties and responsibilities.
- Assist in developing training programs for support staff.
- Insure everyone adheres to established protocols
- Coordinate with staff to maintain and keep all areas clean and organized.
- Responsible for cleaning and upkeep of room.
- Maintain all equipment within room.
- Check drugs and supplies for expiration date and stock supplies when needed.
- Sweep and mop floors daily.
- Empty trash cans and laundry daily.
- Submit work orders as needed and maintain records.
Inventory and record keeping:
- Document controlled substances.
- Stock supplies in general storage area.
- Ensure hospital equipment is in working order.
- Order supplies in absence of manager.
- Ensure records are accurate and charges are entered.
Starting salary is $15.00 to $16.00 per hour commensurate with qualifications.
\Veterinary Technician I: High school diploma or equivalent and two years of veterinary experience or one year of veterinary experience and currently enrolled in a veterinary technician program or a graduate of a veterinary technician program.
Veterinary Technician II: Credentialed veterinary technician and four years of veterinary experience.
- Graduation from an accredited veterinary technology program and/or certified veterinary technician
- Knowledge of animal care and nursing, especially critical care.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, and terminology.
- Knowledge of the equipment and materials used and their availability and applications.
- Ability to effectively maintain a working environment while in stressful situations.
- Ability to effectively communicate with employees of various levels and responsibilities.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered for these positions, you must upload:
- Cover Letter
- List of References
This is a CARE position offering limited benefits, including health insurance and paid time off.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants do not need to reapply.
|Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply nowRefer a friend