Director, Venture Management
Job no: 505528
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Department:11090000 - OR-TECHNOLOGY LICENSING
Director, Venture Management
The Venture Management Director will develop processes and create an organization that will fuel consistent growth of the volume and the quality of the University of Florida Technology based startup companies. Essential functions of this position include the following:
- Investment Search
- Source new venture investments including meeting with founders and entrepreneurs, attending relevant conferences and networking events, and calling on new prospects
- Conduct detailed industry, business and financial due diligence on prospective investments.
- Perform as a liaison between the clients, businesses, and the University regarding potential venture investment.
- Act as liaison between public and private sectors in application and implementation of the investment program.
- Financial Analysis
- Prepare in-depth financial and data analysis for potential investments, including customer and management references, market sizing and mapping, and industry research
- Develop financial models relating to financing, restructurings, valuation analyses and liquidity events
- Support portfolio company management teams on special projects
- Evaluate the potential of a client’s return on investment opportunities relative to the investment risk.
- Perform careful evaluation of risk/reward potential for clients and their companies.
- Work closely with angel groups and other national/regional/local investment funds.
- Hire and manage team of EIRs (Entrepreneurs-in-Residence)
- Develop informational sessions for clients and companies on issues relevant to investments in startup companies.
- Prepare and submit on time reports required by the Assistant Vice President.
- Promote the University programs, and their employees at every available opportunity, with specific responsibilities for assisting entrepreneurs and establishing and aiding new businesses in the service region.
- Other Duties
- Maintain knowledge of existing investments and monitor financial performance
- Stay current and inform companies of special financing and tax incentives available to startup companies.
- Keep current on all services of all business incubation programs in order to cross-sell their services to clients and the public.
- Maintain a rapport with potential clients and clients, other investors, company management, business incubators, support staff, and administration as needed to carry out job responsibilities in a professional manner.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Master’s degree in appropriate area of specialization and six years of appropriate experience or a bachelor’s degree in appropriate areas of specialization and eight years of experience.
- Technical undergraduate degree, Bachelor's degree in science or engineering required. Master’s degree in Business Administration or equivalent experience in a related field required.
- At least 3 years experience required in the financing aspects of small business including securities, banking, and/or direct management of investments in commercial ventures. Experience also desired in technology commercialization and working with entrepreneurs. Life Science experience very much preferred.
- At least 2 years operational experience employed in at least one startup company required, more experience preferred.
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills required, including public speaking, presentation and pitches.
- Demonstrated networking skills, including negotiating strategic, business-to-business agreements and assisting companies with finding additional financing.
- Ability to operate as a business professional and an effective investor, and show evidence of a willingness to fulfill both roles.
- Extensive venture capital firm network across industries, regions and stages.
- Early stage fund development and management experience
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
|Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply nowRefer a friend