Landscape Ecology Biological Scientist II
Job no: 505347
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine
Department:60850000 - AG-FLREC-FT LAUDERDALE
Biological Scientist II
- Manage the Lab data system: the Lab relies on a data server using Linux (Debian). Most notably, the server runs a PostGIS database system, which hosts data from research projects of the Lab (notably wood stork, sea turtle and raccoon telemetry data and associated GIS layers), as well as Rstudio Server, Shiny, and GitLab, among others. The candidate will entirely manage the server (keep the data base and the associated metadata clean and up-to-date, set permissions for users and groups, develop Shiny apps to access and display data, etc.).
- Assist and train other Lab members for data processing and analysis: candidate will assist Lab members (notably students) to process the data stored in the Lab database system, in order to prepare them for statistical analysis. He/she will also assist the next step of statistical analysis when relevant.
- Run his/her own projects, which can include side projects or overarching issues within the Lab themes, and eventually lead to peer-reviewed publications.
- Maintain and develop the Lab R packages (basr, hab, rpostgis, rpostgisLT, …), and publish them on CRAN when appropriate. Maintaining packages means keeping them up-to-date with changes in R and package dependencies, while developing involves the integration of new functions or the improvement of existing ones.
- Contribute to the Lab’s extension program, through extensive communication with the Lab's partners (USGS, USFWS, …), the preparation of brochures or posters, or the participation in outreach events.
- Participate in field work: The Lab and its partners periodically needs help in various field work projects in the area, in the Everglades or beyond. The candidate will contribute to the field work effort whenever necessary
$35,000 - $45,000 depending on experience
Doctoral degree in biology or a closely related field; or a master’s degree in biology or a closely related field and one year of relevant experience; or a bachelor’s degree in biology or a closely related field and three years of relevant experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of SQL (PostGIS) and R are essential
- Fundamentals in statistics and advanced knowledge of GIS are also required.
- Publication records in peer-reviewed journals in Ecology or Biogeography are highly desirable.
- Candidates with previous experience with Linux systems preferred.
- M.S. with three years of experience in GIS or Statistics.
- Must be able to work independently and with others in a fast-paced environment. Individuals should be comfortable working across agency boundaries, making excellent written and oral communication skills are essential for this position.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
|Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply nowRefer a friend