Veterinary Diagnostic Imaging Assistant (CARE)
Job no: 528580
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Veteran's Preference Eligible, Veterinary Medicine/Animal Care
Department:28313500 - VM-RADIOLOGY
Veterinary Technician Assistant
The Diagnostic Imaging Service at the University of Florida Veterinary Hospital is recruiting for a Veterinary Assistant. The primary role of the assistant is to support the veterinarians and veterinary technicians so they can focus on their primary responsibilities which is obtaining radiologic imaging of patients for interpretation by a radiologist. These images with the interpretation will provide information to the referring veterinarian or specialist that will help determine a diagnosis for their patient. Our assistants work with veterinary students throughout the year. The individual must be able to develop friendly, professional relationships and maintain a positive attitude throughout all interactions. The assistants would be responsible for maintaining cleanliness of the areas and equipment as well as maintaining inventory and stock, ensuring communications are happening within the team. Individuals should genuinely care about people and animals, possess excellent communication skills, outgoing, full of enthusiasm and a team player.
This position requires a post offer health assessment
The primary role of the assistant is to support the veterinarians and veterinary technicians so they can focus on their responsibilities. Primary duties will assist the veterinary technicians, students, and doctors. As part of the patient care team it is important to communicate in a warm and friendly manner to all parties, be proactive in understanding what is happening with the patient, and ask frequently “how can I help?” All parties of the patient care team should promote teamwork within the service and with lateral services to meet the needs of our patients and effectively support team members.
Examples of this include but not limited to the following:
• Transporting and positioning for Diagnostic Imaging in small and large animal radiology.
• Properly identify patients and safely transport patient to and from diagnostic areas.
• Assist in monitoring patients while in Diagnostic Imaging.
• Use proper restraint techniques while assisting with patient handling
• Weigh patients and ensure their weight is accurate in the medical record and RIS
• Basic understanding of CPR and the assistants role
• Demonstrate the knowledge and use of ALARA in regards to radiation safety.
• Help students with RIS orders and PACS use.
• Help students find answers to questions that are not in your knowledge base by redirecting them to an appropriate person.
• Demonstrate a professional appearance and attitude at all times.
• Ensure students evaluate clinical instructors and the service while keeping results confidential
• Communicate with professional dialect maintaining a positive helpful attitude with appropriate body language.
• Direct concerns to appropriate person as needed.
• Demonstrate the ability to receive feedback, positive or negative, gracefully and use it for professional growth.
Clerical and Administrative Duties
This position will act as support and back up to the program assistant and manager to ensure clerical and administrative tasks are completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position needs to foster positivity, respect, and trust and be able to work independently and efficiently. Strive to build cohesive relationships among staff, students, and clients by creating a culture of dialogue and inviting thoughts and ideas to discuss.
Hospital Cleanliness and General Service Support
Responsible for not compromising and adhering to the required levels of cleanliness throughout the service while creating a safe and accident free environment. Abiding by infection control protocols is of utmost importance for the safety of our patients and staff. The overall aesthetics of the hospital area is a direct reflection on the high quality care we provide so it is important the areas are kept in pristine condition.
Examples of work include but are not limited to the following:
• Practice appropriate infection control by managing biohazardous patient care items and lab specimens appropriately
• Maintain and keep all work and break areas cleaned and organized
• Maintain equipment within room and report broken or malfunctioning equipment to the appropriate manager
• Check drugs and supplies for expiration date and stock supplies when needed
• Submit work orders as needed to the appropriate hospital personnel and notify the manager of the submission
• Ensure cages and runs including drains, grates, and doors are cleaned every day and as needed
• Sweep and mop floors
• Disinfect and clean equipment
• Take out trash and recyclables
• Assist with processing laundry as needed
• Ensure that equipment is turned off appropriately as needed.
• Ensure area is locked at the end of the day
NORMAL WORK SCHEDULE
Monday through Friday with varying shifts between normal business hours (i.e. 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. in approx. 8 hour shifts; variances dependent on hospital needs. May be required to work Open House or other events to assist promoting the service.
High school diploma or equivalent.
||• Experience in veterinary medicine and/or diagnostic imaging
• Excellent Customer Service Skills
• Good communication skills, both verbally (telephone and person-to-person); as well as good literacy skills(ability to read and compose grammatically correct sentences) are critical to the success of this position.
• Ability to effectively communicate with employees of various levels and responsibilities and clients
• Ability to effectively maintain a working environment while in stressful situations
• Good computer skills
• Ability to deal with the public in a tactful and courteous manner
• Ability to plan, organize and coordinate
• Ability to perform basic arithmetic calculations involving money
• Knowledge of Medical Terminology, veterinary medicine, medical records, and billing systems
• Ability to make timely decisions
• Ability to work within a team and perform with minimum supervision
• Ability to multitask as well as ability to set and change priorities in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment while maintaining a positive attitude
• Ability to work accurately with attention to detail
• Ability to handle frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workload and work schedule
• Ability to set priorities and solve problems
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply.
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
This is a CARE position offering limited benefits, including health insurance and paid time off.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
|Health Assessment Required:
||Yes; Must be able to lift a minimum of 40 lbs, bend, kneel, pull, push, twist and stand for an extended period of time.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply nowRefer a friend