Research Assistant II - Genomics Core Lab
Job no: 521902
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Palm Beach
Department:37050600 - SR-GENOMICS
Research Assistant II
UF Scripps Biomedical Research is currently seeking a Research Assistant II to join the Genomics Core. The Research Assistant II will report to the Scientific Director of the Genomics Core. The successful candidate will perform the full range of next generation sequencing services and must be able to work efficiently as an individual as part of an energized team with meticulous detail to provide customized high-throughput sequencing solution services to a unique and scientifically diverse research community.
Candidate should have the ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, and in collaboration with Genomics core facility wet-bench and computational personnel, as well as with Faculty investigators and their team members. The selected candidate must have an outstanding understanding of molecular biology, and be competent to conduct a wide variety of standard laboratory procedures related to next-generation sequencing. The ideal candidate will assist in overseeing the core laboratory by receiving and processing samples, communicating effectively with investigators and students at multiple trainee levels, to manage projects effectively, to troubleshoot and modify methods as necessary, and to perform routine equipment maintenance and other basic tasks required to maintain organization and operation of the Core’s lab.
- Discuss project goals with client laboratory investigators.
- Receive and organize samples from client laboratories. Construct a wide range of libraries for next generation sequencing analysis. This includes extensive QC analysis of library size distributions, library quantities and purity using multiple complementary methods and approaches including qPCR, Qubit, Agilent Bioanalyzer, and TapeStation analysis.
- Work will involve construction and quality control analysis of targeted DNA or RNA based amplicon libraries, and total RNA, small RNA, mRNA, chemically modified DNA and RNA, ChIP, ATAC-seq, and 10X single-cell sequencing libraries.
- Meticulous record keeping is essential.
- Interface with instrumentation scientists to troubleshoot equipment failures and resolve any issues that arise during run setup, sequencing and data generation.
- Additional duties include maintenance of Core equipment, maintaining consumable inventories and reagent ordering.
- Details of established essential functions for this position will be addressed/discussed during the interview process
Commensurate with experience
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant scientific discipline or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skill and abilities have been attained. Requires 3-5 years experience. Candidates possessing a Master’s degree, 2+ years experience required.
- The ideal candidate should have excellent pipetting skills and extensive experience with preparation and quantitation of nucleic acids.
- Experience operating Illumina sequencing platforms, such as NextSeq 500 and MiSeq instruments is a plus. Experience with custom library preparation solutions in addition to those from standard kit-based library methods is highly desirable.
- Specific experience and knowledge in fields including (but not limited to) neuroscience, immunology, microbiology, cancer, cell development, genetics or chemistry is highly desirable.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
Please provide names and email addresses of three to five references as part of the application process. When ready, the hiring department will contact the listed references via email requesting their reference letters to be uploaded directly to the application website.
This position is open until filled. Application review will begin immediately until the position is filled.
This is a time-limited position.
|Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply nowRefer a friend