The University of Florida, Large Animal Hospital is recruiting for a Service Veterinary Technician I/II – (CARE) for the Large Animal Surgery Service.
- The individual in this position is responsible for improving the efficiency and organization of the assigned service; improving communication, recovering all charges for the service, and improving the clients’ experience when admitting inpatients and outpatients. Also acts as a surgical nurse utilizing proper clinical techniques in support of the Large Animal Hospital Surgery Service and its clinicians. Duties also include restraining horses and other large animals for exams and diagnostic procedures, jog horses, and aid in the positioning of horses in the MRI and CT units throughout the workday several days of every work week.
- This is a position that requires a motivated, well-organized and caring individual.
- This is a position that requires the experience and physical ability to handle, manipulate and restrain large animals (primarily horses, but may include goats, alpacas, llamas, and bovine patients) including lifting (minimally 50lbs), squatting, bending, kneeling, reaching and holding for extended periods of time.
- Surgical Nursing and Sterile Supply Support duties include:
- Assists clinicians and students with anesthetic inductions, surgical prep, and surgical procedures
Prepares for surgery by independently setting up surgical suites and equipment including specialized diagnostic equipment.
Ensures that surgical suites and areas are properly cleaned after surgery. Clean and prepares surgical instruments for sterilization. Operate cleaners, sterilizers, instrument washers, heat sealers, and other mechanical, electronic, and surgical equipment.
Controls inventory and movement of supplies within the surgery department.
Maintain daily records of equipment operation, quality control checks, instrument inventory, supplies, and test results.
- Surgery Outpatient/Inpatient Duties include:
- Performs or assists in patient handling and restraint, medical evaluation, monitoring, treatment, and documentation in the patient medical and treatment records. Responsible for calculating medication doses, drawing and administering medications, and performing specialized procedures relevant to critical care of large animal patients.
Assist with imaging procedures including radiographs, MRI’s, CT’s, and scintigraphy
Collect, prepare and submit laboratory samples as needed.
Provide clinical service support by maintaining a supply inventory and replenishing stock within the assigned service, performs maintenance service checks and minor repairs to assigned equipment, maintains a clean/sanitary and organized clinical service area.
- Surgery Service Administrative Support duties include:
- Client communications and scheduling appointments with appropriate clinicians and/or services
Collects and inputs patient medical history into the electronic medical records.
Entering charges, make and record calls to clients,
Perform or send out maintenance service equipment.
- Successful completion of basic Skills Mastery List for this level technician within six months of hire date and verification of proficiency will be required. Basic computing skills in word processing and spreadsheets are required, including the ability to successfully master the hospital information system as it’s used in patient care and processing.
- The successful candidate must be reliable, responsible, and self-motivated with a strong work ethic and the ability to follow the appropriate chain of command. They must possess the ability to: maintain effective working relationships with clinicians, coworkers, students, and clients; to plan, organize and coordinate daily tasks, set priorities and solve problems; to multitask as well as the ability to set and change priorities in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment while maintaining a positive attitude; to handle frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workload and work schedule; accept constructive criticism.
- Typically assigned work hours are Monday – Friday, varying shifts between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. as required by the service. Rotating “on-call” status required Sunday - Saturday. Call back only as emergency surgeries or service assistance is required out of the normal working hours, may require working alternate shifts, holidays, and weekends
Starting salary for this position is $15-$17/hour commiserate with experience and licensure/certification.
Large Animal Veterinary Service Tech 1 LA Surgery:
High School Diploma; two (2) years of relevant work experience loading, unloading, restraining, handling, and treating horses or one (1) years of relevant work experience loading, unloading, restraining, handling, and treating horses in a veterinary academic teaching hospital.
Large Animal Veterinary Service Tech 2 LA Surgery:
Certification or licensure as a Veterinary Technician. High school diploma or equivalent and four years of relevant experience including loading, unloading, restraining, handling, and treating horses or two years of relevant experience including loading, unloading, restraining, handling, and treating horses in a veterinary academic teaching hospital;
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered for this position, you must provide a cover letter, resume/CV, and references.
This is a CARE position offering limited benefits including health insurance and paid time off.
This position has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.