OPS Research Technician - Agbandje-McKenna Lab
Job no: 515937
Work type: Temp Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Library/Physical/Social Science, Research/Scientific/Grants
Department:29030101 - MD-BIOCHEMISTRY-GENERAL
OPS Research Technician
The Agbandje-McKenna Lab in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology is looking for an OPS Research Technician to conduct molecular biological and biochemical experiments to work on an industry sponsored research project. This position will primarily involve studies of the Adeno-associated viruses (AAVs) being used for gene delivery applications. The successful candidate will design and conducts experiments using molecular and biochemical techniques in order to determine the molecular mechanisms involved in viral genome packaging. This will involve cloning, recombinant virus production (tissue culture) and purification, and in vitro infectivity assays. The products from these experiments will also be analyzed using ELISA, qPCR, and gel electrophoresis.
Duties will include:
- Conducting molecular biological and biochemical experiments on rAAVs
- Tissue culture
- General laboratory and equipment maintenance
- Working with other lab members, including undergrads, grad students, postdocs, and faculty
$12.00 - $15.00 per hour; commensurate with education and experience.
Associate's degree in an appropriate area; or a high school diploma or equivalent and two years of related experience. Appropriate college course work or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
- Experience in handling DNA, protein purification, and mammalian tissue culture techniques is preferred, but training will be given.
- The ideal candidate will have experience in isolation of DNA extracts; cloning; protein and virus purification; know how to design PCR primers and perform qPCR; research literature relating to experiments; pay attention to detail and be precise; work flexible hours depending on specific experiments; compile and analyze data; and keep complete and precise records, including an up-to-date, organized, legible, and accurate laboratory notebook.
- Interpret the data from the above experiments and work independently to solve technical problems as they arise during the course of these studies. Results must be organized and prepared for presentation to project sponsor on a regular basis. Have the ability to keep abreast of the current literature in the field.
- Have the knowhow to maintain records and order supplies that will be required for this research project.
- Oversee the maintenance of equipment that is relevant to this project as well as other projects in the laboratory.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
CV/resume, cover letter describing research experience, and names of 3 references must be included with online application.
This requisition will be used to fill multiple positions.
This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not apply.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
|Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply nowRefer a friend