The User Services Manager is responsible for supervising all operations of the Library West User Services Unit, including special projects. The incumbent in this position will provide management, leadership, and coaching to a unit of 7-10 FTE staff and 12-16 student assistants accountable for user-centered support to meet the needs of University of Florida faculty, staff, and students. This position involves extensive, hands-on interaction with Libraries faculty and staff, the University community and the general public, and provides a unified voice for the communication of user programs and policies. Specific activities vary and include strategic planning, problem solving, public relations, and the interpretation, recommendation, and creation of policies and procedures. Added operational duties include handling user accounts, billing issues and patron inquiries, and drafting correspondence and publications for the branch. This position serves as a coordinator for building safety and security, and maintenance of library staffing and hours.
The User Services Manager leads a collaborative work team that is responsible for overseeing key library and information services for the community. This position works closely with the Assistant User Services Manager (Night & Weekend Operations), to hire, train, and schedule support staff for all Library West operating hours. All public service desk functions require timeliness, accuracy and attention to detail. Activities include user education, circulation of library materials, assisting with computers, A/V equipment and other technologies, event support, and referral to appropriate library specialists.
To support all students, staff and faculty, and foster excellence in a diverse and collaborative society, the Libraries are actively seeking candidates who bring culturally-rich lived experiences to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientation, and perspectives.
User Services Unit Supervision and Coordination
- Coordinates and supervises the daily operations of the Library West User Services Unit. This involves extensive interaction with library staff members and units throughout all of the Libraries and with the public. Specific activities vary but usually involve supervision, problem solving, decision making, and interpretation or creation of policies and procedures. Serves as back-up for functions performed by staff within the unit.
- Hires, evaluates, and coaches full-time and student staff. Approves payroll and staff schedules. Works with Assistant User Services Manager (Night & Weekend Operations) to devise budgets and to project and monitor unit spending of allocated OPS budget.
- Trains non-unit staff and new hires on circulation competencies for Library West service desks. Ensures that local training, policy and procedure documentation is accurate. Works with Human Resources to provide other staff training as appropriate.
- Determines projects and workflows for User Services Unit. Facilitates the processes associated with the implementation of new library-wide systems such as the ILS, room and technology reservation systems, or other appropriate software. Manages Library West circulation, building usage and other statistics, providing reports as requested.
- Ascertains and/or develops appropriate trainings for unit staff. Identifies unit equipment, hardware and software needs.
- Participates in the departmental management team, Library West Coordinators. Communicates to unit staff changes in policy and procedures, Libraries and department strategic goals, and relevant news.
User Services and Communications
- Works with department coordinators and Libraries’ assessment team for evaluation of patron services. Participates in local and Libraries-wide assessment activities.
- Coordinates and manages all branch communications relating to circulation and patron issues. Ensures consistent and appropriate voice in communicating with users. Supervises circulation mailboxes, distributes circulation policy, and investigates and makes referrals to appropriate branch staff and supervisors for timely resolution of problem reports.
- Serves as the contact person for all Library West circulation issues; maintains primary responsibility for H&SS faculty and outreach patrons. Troubleshoots issues relating to circulation, including patron account activation and renewals, billing and refund requests, and failure to receive library notices. Processes, investigates and replies to issues concerning patron transactions.
- Generates circulation statistics from library management system and assists with collection of data related to public services offered by the branch.
- Maintains and creates guest computer and library accounts in collaboration with other branch circulation managers. Verifies affiliation for UF students, faculty and staff; processes non-affiliated and reciprocal borrower applications; creates proxy accounts.
Library West User Services Operations
- Works Circulation Desk and ensures library operations Monday through Friday, maintaining daily presence at Circulation Desk during assigned shifts.
- Keeps expert working knowledge of competencies required of circulation staff and of UF Libraries’ circulation manual.
- Assists patrons with questions about circulation and library policies; verifies and updates patron records as needed; loans & returns materials to patrons; creates or updates item records for library material to allow for circulation; creates guest researcher accounts for unaffiliated researchers.
- Reviews queries regarding library fees posted against patron accounts, and exercises the option to waive non-transferred (open) fees (if warranted), or to assist patrons in submitting online appeals for the reversal or reduction of library charges.
- Answers general directional questions and provides referrals to patrons seeking research assistance.
- Helps monitor library equipment and facilities within Library West; documents and responds to problems by submitting online service requests.
- Enforces library and computer use policies, including food/drink policy.
- Updates/informs circulation staff and branch coordinators of incidents or events that may have occurred during shift.
Building, technology and security coordination
- Coordinates with Smathers Libraries’ Associate Director of Facilities & Security to safeguard effective maintenance and functioning of the building.
- Serves as branch supervisor and contact for contracted security guards. Maintains building security for patrons and staff, contacting University Police when necessary. Reports problems and emergencies to University Police, Libraries Facilities, UF Physical Plant and Library Administration, as appropriate.
- Maintains emergency contact list and notifications for User Services staff. Drafts informational and safety brochures. Monitors and reports problems with security gates, occupancy counting system, and security cameras. Communicates building issues to Library West staff.
- Checks and troubleshoots technology and associated item records for circulation to users (iPads, storage drives, projectors, etc.). Maintains study carrels database and annual assignments, and collaborates with study room booking system administrators.
- Opens building on assigned shifts and functions as backup for other shifts. Empties book drops and runs reports, if necessary, during extended breaks when library is closed.
Participates in University, Libraries and Library West committees and task forces as appropriate. Participates in training that will enhance skills for both personal and professional development. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Practice in hiring, training, and supervising exempt, non-exempt, and peripheral employees, and ability to provide clear and positive direction to team members.
- Initiative, flexibility, and ability to adapt and work in a rapidly changing academic environment.
- Experience in provision of user-centered service.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and collegially to accomplish goals, and to interact with co-workers in a professional manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills, and ability to plan, organize, and coordinate projects and work assignments.
- Strong computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office suite with a particular focus on Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Knowledge and work experience in a complex research library system; facility with library management systems used for circulation functions, and online public access catalogs. Knowledge of applicable library, circulation, collections, and reference policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of and ability to navigate university management systems for payroll, patron verification and registration, billing, and other applications as necessary.
- Ability to monitor, report and address problems with building facilities, security gates & occupancy counters, security cameras, compact shelving units, and other equipment used in Library West.
- Record of including individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, genders, and perspectives in previous work, supervisory assignments, or service activities.