The University of Florida Office of Strategic Communications and Marketing is entering an exciting new chapter of growth and innovation with a new structure and a new Vice President of Strategic Communications and Marketing. UF is rising, and we want you to rise right along with us. The division is seeking a highly qualified professional for the role of Assistant Vice President for Marketing. The ideal candidate will be a collaborative leader attuned to organizational culture and external audiences who excels at cultivating relationships and garners the trust and confidence of leadership, faculty, staff and students. This individual will possess a combination of creativity and business savvy, will thrive in a fast-paced environment oriented toward growth and innovation, and will promote a culture of high performance, continuous improvement and a commitment to quality.
The AVP for Marketing will work collaboratively with a new AVP for Communications. The AVPs will have the unique opportunity to develop and implement the strategic imperatives and organizational development efforts to actualize the university’s new overall strategic communications and marketing plan. Together, these leaders will elevate UF’s stature and positively position the university as a leader in higher education, national and internationally.
You will be an ambassador for UF and will use your in-depth knowledge and experience in brand strategy, marketing, communications, digital media, social media and creative outreach approaches to innovate and advance a distinctive and strengthened organizational brand. You have the chance to create a new marketing structure within a top public research university and build the team that will propel UF’s marketing organization as a national leader.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Recruit, build and lead an effective team of professionals with strength in brand and positioning strategy, web and digital platforms, social media, creative and photography services, market research and internal engagement and advocacy.
- Lead the development of a campus community-engaged brand and positioning planning process and strategy development.
- Develop and implement an integrated marketing communications plan to broaden awareness of the university’s academic and research prowess and drive engagement across key stakeholder audiences.
- Manage UF’s brand and standards to ensure a consistent and unified identity.
- Manage external marketing communications agencies.
- Identify opportunities for market research and track performance of marketing strategies for effectiveness and return on investment.
- Lead digital and social media platforms.
- Coordinate marketing initiatives across campus to ensure consistency in a decentralized structure. Collaborate with deans and campus communicators in support of UF’s strategic priorities.
- Serve as a trusted resource to deans, directors and campus communicators for expert advice, training and best practices.
The University of Florida:
The University of Florida ranks 7th among public research universities and is the flagship of Florida’s state university system. Located in Gainesville since 1906, UF has 16 colleges, a major academic health center, a championship-winning athletic program, a top-ranked undergraduate online program and, in keeping with its land-grant mission, one of the nation’s most comprehensive agriculture and natural resources programs. All are based at the university’s 2,000-acre main campus, joining its historic core with advanced facilities and preserved natural areas, and connecting to adjacent innovation, commercial and residential districts.
UF has 56,000 students, 31,000 employees, including 5,500 faculty members, a $6 billion annual budget and more than 140 mission-focused units across the state of Florida. It is the Sunshine State’s only member of the Association of American Universities comprising the nation’s 60 leading public and private research universities. It is ranked seventh among public universities in the U.S. News &World Report Best College Rankings, second in Kiplinger’s Best College Values and sixth in The New York Times College Access Index. UF has 45 members of the National Academies and American Academy of Arts and Sciences; 51 fellows with the American Association for the Advancement of Science; and two Pulitzer Prize winners. A record 41,400 students applied for 6,500 positions in the 2019-20 freshman class.
Several qualities distinguish UF among today’s leading public research universities. The first is its highly comprehensive breadth on a single campus, facilitating interdisciplinary collaboration among, for example, faculty within the adjacent colleges of journalism, engineering and medicine. The second is its unwavering support from the State of Florida, which has endorsed UF’s drive to become one of the nation’s very best public research universities, supporting this effort since 2013 with hundreds of millions of dollars in additional funding to grow its faculty ranks. UF’s third exceptional quality is its dynamism. Like the state of Florida, now the nation’s third largest and among its fastest-growing, UF is undergoing rapid transformation as it pursues its overarching aspiration “to be a premier university that the state, nation and world look to for leadership.”