Large Animal Hospital Service Tech I/II
Job no: 509570
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine
Department:28321000 - VM-HOSPITAL
Large Animal Hospital Service Veterinary Technician I/II (CARE)
The individual in this position is responsible for monitoring and administering treatments and medical care to animals admitted as inpatients, outpatients or as emergencies to the University of Florida, Large Animal Hospital under supervision of the professional staff, provides clinical assistance to the professional staff, instructs veterinary students in proper clinical techniques supporting primary care, and maintains a sanitary and functionally well-organized service within the Large Animal Hospital.
Also, the individual will work closely with the respective Service clinicians assisting with paperwork including discharge letters, record keeping, billing, and entries of charges; dispensing medications at discharge; assisting with diagnostic procedures and setups; catheterizing patients; helping students; communicating with clients at a basic level about progress reports as directed by the clinician until the clinician can provide the client with more complete information.
$15.00-$17.00 per hour; commensurate with education and experience
Tech I - High School Diploma and two years’ work experience loading, unloading, restraining, handling and treating horses or 1 years’ work experience loading, unloading, restraining, handling and treating horses in a veterinary academic teaching hospital.
Tech II - High School Diploma and four years’ work experience loading, unloading, restraining, handling and treating horses or 2 years’ work experience loading, unloading, restraining, handling and treating horses in a veterinary academic teaching hospital and certification or licensure as a Veterinary Technician
- Graduation from an accredited American Veterinary Medical Association program for veterinary technology and/or met requirements for certification in the State of Florida; or a high school degree and two years of veterinary work experience plus a minimum of four years practical experience in an academic hospital environment or equivalent of eight years of appropriate education and practical experience in private practice.
- Basic Computing Skills in word processing and spread sheets.
- Working knowledge of veterinary equipment used within a veterinary teaching hospital.
- Certification and a Veterinary Technician. Three years technical experience in area of specialization related to position. Three years relevant experience within a veterinary university system. Knowledge of equipment used in area of specialization, such as anesthetic machines, fluid pumps, blood gas analyzers, defibrillators, nebulizers, ultrasound or endoscopy equipment.
- A background check is required
- Must be experienced in the care and handling of large animals and understand veterinary medical terminology in order to carry out, direct and instruct senior veterinary students, veterinary care technicians and volunteer help in the care and treatment of patients in the Veterinary Medical Center.
- Must be capable of easily lifting at least 50 – 100 pounds on a regular basis. Must not have any medical conditions or implants which would preclude entry into the MRI suite.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload the following documents:
- Cover Letter detailing qualifications for position
- List of References
This is a CARE position offering limited benefits, including health insurance and paid time off.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants do not need to reapply.
|Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply nowRefer a friend