Precision Agricultural Engineer I
Job no: 508910
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine, Engineering/Computer Science
Department:60910000 - AG-SWFREC-IMMOKALEE
- Assist in the design, development, implementation, testing, evaluation and maintenance of precision farming technologies/systems/machines. Assist in the design and development of Wireless Sensor Network, smart and automated systems (e.g. smart sprayer, in-field data collection system), machine vision systems (e.g. for weed detection, yield estimation, fruit maturity detection, etc), equipment/machines (e.g. mechanical harvester, mechanical pruner).
- Coordination of data collection and field activities. Supervision of field assistants/technicians and other project staff. In some instances, collection of data when qualified staff are not available.
- Data analysis, including geospatial analyses and report writing for precision farming projects and associated multi-disciplinary projects; development of automation tools (including cloud, web-based and mobile apps)
- Delivery of precision farming technologies, automation and smart machines extension programs in conjunction with the specialist and represent the SWFREC program at state, federal, and international meetings
- Assist in writing refereed and non-refereed research and extension papers
- Assist in the supervision of infrastructure construction related to engineering projects led by the supervising professor.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience
Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area or a high school diploma or equivalent with four or more years of relevant experience.
Valid driver's license
- A B.S. degree in Agricultural, Mechanical, Electrical, or Computer Engineering or closely related field (mechatronics, IoT, machine vision) is preferred. Previous experience and publications in the areas of machine learning, machine vision, IoT, and precision farming technologies is preferred
- Experience in project management
- Knowledge of computer programming (embedded programming, C, Matlab etc)
- Knowledge and experience in use of GIS tools for natural systems
- Knowledge of internet programming (e.g. HTML, JAVA script) for developing web-based decision support systems
- Background in agricultural engineering
- Experience in instrumentation and electronics
- Knowledge of the terminology, principles, and techniques used in research, analysis or testing
- Knowledge of the procedures, techniques, and equipment used in laboratory testing and analysis
- Knowledge of the methods of data collection
- Ability to assist in the development of research projects in conjunction with faculty and other staff
- Ability to perform statistical analysis using statistical software (SAS/Mintab)
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach C.V or resume and the contact information (phone number, e-mail address) for a minimum of three business related references
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
This position is available to UF employees only
|Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply nowRefer a friend