The Digital Public Relations Specialist is responsible for communicating UF/IFAS strategic messages across all IFAS social and digital platforms. Under the supervision of the Assistant Vice President, coordinates with internal media relations, photography, video, creative services, web, writers, content publishers, faculty and staff to develop effective digital content and information architecture solutions for the IFAS social media and web presence with the overall objective of delivering important information to a diverse audience using available digital mediums. Responsible for planning and executing public relations campaigns through digital and social media. Responsible for identifying and executing digital tactics for reaching different populations. This position serves as a digital content and social media expert, identifying scholarly research and other programs suitable for sharing on the IFAS digital platform.
- Writing, coordinating, and scheduling digital content for IFAS critical web sites and management of a professional blogging platform.
- Responsible for content updates for all IFAS critical web sites using a content management system. Collect, create, and post content of interest to consumer audiences in Florida via the web. Monitoring, managing, and responding to e-mails in the IFAS Extension and web services e-mail inbox. This includes providing adequate guidance related to IFAS web policy and branding guidelines. Overseeing a central IFAS calendar system and posting events (run by Google Calendar) and making ad hoc requested updates to other unit web sites (HTML code). Content updates include responsibility for writing original content and procuring other content from unit sources (news, video, photography, graphics, faculty, agents, and specialists) to increase engagement and reach by strategically sharing on the web, blogs, social media, and through email campaigns.
- Works closely with IFAS clients and communications staff in planning, coordinating, and executing content additions and modifications of web sites (text, graphics, videos, forms, etc.) and in reviewing and making recommendations for continual improvement of existing content. Makes use of analytics tools to review site effectiveness and to identify trends and areas that need additional review and testing.
- Works closely with IFAS clients and communications staff to identify opportunities to optimize site content to improve search engine result page rankings of existing sites for strategic key words and phrases. Techniques will include white-hat methods intended to increase organic and paid results (in conjunction with IFAS marketing efforts). Review and advise on other IFAS web sites for ways to improve visitor flow and goal completions. Continually analyze the taxonomy that drives IFAS web sites and determines methods for continual improvements to deliver relevant, timely information to core audiences.
- As community manager for the IFAS blogging platform: recruit bloggers; create, administer and edit blogs; and provide ongoing training and instruction to bloggers. Contribute original and procured content to the blogging platform for sharing on other digital platforms. Engage with blog audiences: includes content collection and writing SEO friendly posts on the IFAS global blog. Responsible for development, maintenance, and administration of other IFAS blogging accounts. Review and provide instruction on blogging account submissions for approval prior to creation. Create and provide instruction and communications training on blogging, including, but not limited to, sharing posts on social media platforms to increase engagement and reach, basic “how-to,” best practices, and analytics.
- Research social media, digital content, and web design topics for new best practices and recommendations on improving information content strategy, reach, audience engagement, information architecture, usability, accessibility, and search engine optimization. Monitor trends in peer institution social media and web sites.
- Social media account management includes content creation, content curation, reviewing news for use on social media channels, examining other units’ content for general audience consumption, audience engagement, review and response to posts/tweets/messages on social media platforms as appropriate, monitoring and increasing audience engagement, targeting media with relevant content, creating and maintaining relationships with journalists, legislators and other opinion leaders, maintaining core IFAS social media sites including the description, profile picture, cover photo, etc., and ensuring that Extension social media topics/postings are complementary.
- Social media content development includes developing and implementing the social media campaigns for IFAS, brainstorming and developing ideas for original content, including edited video and photos, memes, infographics, live event coverage, and promotional activities. Collaborate with creative services, graphics, video, photography and web teams to develop content.
- Social media research and strategy includes tracking the ever-changing world of social and digital media and competition, providing benchmarks and analyzing data to inform decision making and ensure campaign goals are met, implementing best practice strategies to communicate with varied audiences on varied platforms.
- Social media outreach and education including advocating within IFAS for outstanding social media standards including brand consistency, monitoring and assisting IFAS social media sites with appropriate conduct and compliance with brand identity standards, contributing to external groups’ social media optimization and best practices, updating and maintaining training guides, approval checklists, and other social media documents, cross training and mentoring staff, interns, and student assistants as appropriate, maintaining relationships with other UF social media specialists.
- Some flexibility is expected regarding schedule to meet deadlines and oversee off-hours production system issues. Availability to work remotely or from alternate locations as needed is also expected. Some travel is required for events, professional development, and/or meetings with IFAS clients across the state.
Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in a writing/communications field, public relations, social media, digital content or similar is preferred. Demonstrated experience in content strategy, social or digital media, including the ability to measure social media or digital presence, is preferred.
Excellent organizational, leadership, customer service, and project management skills are preferred. Candidates must possess an excellent command of grammar and non-technical writing.
Must possess the ability to prioritize multiple projects independently and simultaneously. Additionally, must be adaptable to the ever-changing information technology environment and be willing to learn new skills when required.