Laboratory Technician III
Job no: 507942
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Indian River
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine
Department:60900000 - AG-FMEL-VERO BEACH
Laboratory Technician III
This is work establishing, implementing, maintaining, and evaluating laboratory and field procedures and resulting data. Performs research activities and analysis. Records observations and measurements and reports results. Works closely with mosquitoes and other arthropods of medical importance. Reports to a supervisor or manager who is a faculty member at the Florida Medical Entomology Laboratory in Vero Beach, Florida. May supervise junior laboratory personnel. Position may require overnight travel and substantial field work, and availability for weekend and evening work upon occasion. May need to satisfy UF, IACUC, and IRB requirements for inclusion in research projects, and complete required training and qualify for work in biosafety levels 2/3 laboratories.
Examples of Work:
These functions are not all-inclusive nor do they cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Implement, conduct, and maintain laboratory experiments.
- Implement, conduct, and maintain field experiments and trials.
- Manage experimental data, and prepare results for reports and summaries of findings. Enter data and maintain electronic databases.
- Help to maintain Center facilities such as biosafety laboratories, colony rooms, and animal facilities.
- Maintain equipment and research space in good working order.
- Participate in field and laboratory collection of biological specimens and physical data.
- Prepare specimens and cultures for experimentation.
- Conduct research, including the collection of information and samples, such as blood, water, soil, plants, and animals.
- Consult with researchers regarding laboratory procedures and experiments.
- Provide and maintain a safe work environment by participating in safety programs, committees, or teams and by conducting laboratory or plant safety audits.
Associate degree in an appropriate area of specialization and four years of related experience or a high school diploma and six years of related experience. Appropriate college course work or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Experience working with and rearing mosquitoes or other small hematophagous insects and biosafety/arthropod containment laboratory experience highly desirable.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
This posting will be used to fill multiple vacancies.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
|Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply nowRefer a friend