- Primary responsibility is to oversee and assist with faculty field research projects at the Plant Science Research and Education Unit. This includes, but is not limited to, land preparation, test layouts, potential fumigation, plastic mulch application, crop pest scouting, determination of pest thresholds, spraying for pest control, calibration and maintenance of pesticide applicators, ensuring unit compliance with all applicable pesticide laws, and maintaining records of pesticide use. Ability to operate equipment using the latest guidance systems available. (i.e., John Deere Green Star, Raven, Trimble systems) Also responsible for coordination with other agricultural assistants, senior agricultural assistants, biological scientist, research coordinators, IFAS faculty and extension specialists in process of reviewing current techniques, procedures, materials, and investigating new techniques, procedures, and materials to improve overall pest management at the Unit.
- Secondary responsibility is for performing drip irrigation installation on research tests, maintaining drip irrigation systems and all components related too. Also, to perform fertilization activities and maintaining fertilization records, soil testing and maintaining soil test records, and conveying that information to the research coordinator. Also, incumbent is responsible for crop production and maintenance throughout the growing season. This requires knowledge of crop production practices and ability to recommend appropriate production practices to solve production problems. This also requires regular scouting (minimum of 2 times per week) of all research plots for existing and potential production problems and producing scouting reports for research coordinator. The incumbent is also responsible for making recommendations to research coordinators on improved production needs and methods. Performs other duties related to research farming as required and assigned by Research Coordinator.
- Coordinate with other senior agricultural assistants, agricultural assistants, and research coordinators for assisting in field operations, including land preparation, fertilization, planting, irrigation, cultivation, harvesting and grading of research plots.
- Assist with all other programs (Heavy Equipment; FEPP; Event Days; Safety and Training; etc.) managed by unit as needed. Performs other duties related to research crop production as required and assigned by research coordinators. Oversee inmate workers when assigned to team.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.