- This position will be responsible for managing genetic counseling interactions during medical clinics held either in Gainesville or in the outlying areas. The genetic counselor will also participate in the telemedicine program as backup for the other genetic counselors. The genetic counselor will meet with families in clinic and gather information about genetic risks. Genetic counselor will interpret such information in consort with an MD geneticist and will provide follow-up documentation of genetic counseling recommendations.
- Oversight of the Florida Expanded Newborn Screening Program in conjunction with Geneticists and Nutritionists for both metabolic and cystic fibrosis screens. Responsible for contacting families and their physicians with abnormal NBS results, arranging for diagnostic studies, and providing genetic counseling.
- Provision of inpatient consultations, interactions with attending physicians, patients, residents, medical students and other medical personnel.
- Administrative duties as assigned by the Division Chief and Senior Genetic Counselor.
- The genetic counselor will work with divisional staff to coordinate appointments, referrals and collection of appropriate records. Will oversee the overall activities of the clinical genetics program as it relates to the provision of genetic counseling.
- Will provide educational lectures through the School of Medicine and through Children’s Medical Services, Center for Autism and Related Disabilities, or other organizations as required as part of the Regional Genetics Grant with the state of Florida.
- Will participate in the hiring and training of new genetic counselors, dietitians, and front office staff.