University of Florida/IFAS Extension and Seminole County seek to fill a 12-month, permanent status-accruing 4-H Youth Development Extension Agent position. The agent will provide leadership to develop, implement, evaluate, and report on a comprehensive county 4-H Youth Development program in cooperation with local citizens and county/state extension colleagues. The agent’s academic focus will cover areas typical of the Family and Consumer Sciences program area of Cooperative Extension, e.g., child development, financial management, or health and nutrition. The agent will also be responsible for 4-H school enrichment programs. Programmatically, the academic subjects covered by the agent will be parsed into: 1) Preparing youth to be responsible citizens and productive members of the workforce; 2) Developing organizational and volunteer systems to support youth development; and 3) Administration duties to support youth development.
Duties and Responsibilities
The agent will:
- Understand and promote the principles of 4-H youth development with emphasis on leadership, communication, citizenship, and responsibility.
- Recruit, develop, and oversee a volunteer system to deliver 4-H education programs.
- Ensure compliance with Florida 4-H youth protection policies, including screening and training 4-H volunteers.
- Provide leadership for managing financial resources to support 4-H programs
- Maintain and effective county 4-H Association
- Target programs to achieve participant balance reflective of the county’s population diversity and to address the unique educational needs of county residents
- Provide leadership for identifying, securing, and managing private financial resources to support 4-H programming and ensure compliance with UF/IFAS Extension financial policies
- Develop working relationships with community partners and explore relationships with new partners
- Assume other assignments and responsibilities in support of the total Extension program as assigned by the County Extension Director and District Extension Director.
- Follow all university and county policies and procedures
The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to:
- Manage volunteer systems and apply experiential education and community development methods.
- Design, implement, and evaluate community-based educational programs based on needs assessment with input from county 4-H Association and community members.
- Build relationships with 4-H members, families, and volunteers
- Work with community agencies and groups in collaborations and partnerships
- Work with and enhance strong local advisory committees
- Develop and maintain good media relations
- Work cooperatively with youth and adults as a leader and team member
- Work independently with minimal supervision
In addition, the county faculty member must possess good verbal and written communication skills; have qualities of resourcefulness, creativity, enthusiasm, innovativeness; and have good organizational development and management skills. Knowledge and experience with computer technology is essential.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date.
FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY: Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public. As such, all partners are involved in the supervision of the office and contribute to the salary and support resources. The primary goal of Extension is to disseminate the latest knowledge and applicable technologies in agriculture, human and natural resources, and the life sciences in order to sustain and enhance the quality of human life. The UF/IFAS mission is accomplished through extension faculty members, scientists, educators, administrative staff, and volunteers working cohesively throughout Florida’s 67 counties.
A bachelor’s degree is required. At least 50% progress towards achieving a master’s degree is expected within 5 years of employment. Degrees should be earned in Family and Consumer Sciences, Nutrition, Family Studies, Human Development, Family Youth and Community Sciences or a closely related field.
Agent will be expected to work nights and weekends; occasional overnight travel is required. Must possess (or be able to obtain) a Florida driver’s license. Employment is contingent upon results of a national background screening. The successful candidate will be required to pass a county background screening and driving record check.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Apply through the online UF application system at http://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/cw/en-us/job/505434 , and attach your Resume or CV, as well as a cover letter that describes how your experience and qualifications have prepared you for this position. Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date.
TO COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION, PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING:
You must submit unofficial copies of all transcripts and/or coursework of your academic degrees. You may attach these as an "other" document, or you may submit to our office as directed below. An unofficial copy is acceptable for the application process, but before you can be hired, IFAS Human Resources must have the official transcript for your highest degree on file.
Also, all applicants must have at least three reference rating forms on file. Reference forms must be less than one year old. If you have not already done so, please contact your professional/academic references and ask that they complete a reference rating form on your behalf. The form is located at http://personnel.ifas.ufl.edu/ref_form.pdf .
Please also complete and submit the Previous Employment Form (located at http://personnel.ifas.ufl.edu/prev_employment.pdf ).
With the exception of official transcripts, all items submitted by mail must be postmarked no later than the next business day after the position closing date. All documents submitted by fax or email must be received no later than the next business day. If your official transcripts will arrive after the closing date, you must also submit unofficial transcripts by the deadline.
Requested reference forms and transcripts should be submitted to:
Ms. Dana LeCuyer
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered "official" if a designation of "Issued to Student" is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/ .
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The selection process will be conducted in accord with the provisions of Florida's 'Government in the Sunshine' and Public Records Laws. Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodation.