The Senior Director leads the development and alumni support programs for the University of Florida (UF) Levin College of Law (CoL). This leadership position reports dually to the Dean of the College of Law and Senior Assistant Vice President (Sr AVP) for Development. The senior director works with the Dean to develop and implement fundraising strategies to meet the CoL’s financial needs and to raise the national and international profile of the CoL, in alignment with the strategic initiatives of UF as a whole and with UF Advancement.
• Work actively with the Dean and Sr AVP for Development to develop a comprehensive fundraising program for the CoL designed both to maximize resources available to the CoL and to increase the percentage of alumni financially contributing to the CoL.
• Implement, evaluate, and improve fundraising strategies designed to maximize resources available to the CoL and to increase the percentage of alumni financially contributing to the CoL. Ensure the entire development team is aware of these institutional priorities and will guide their activities in meeting them.
• Work with the Office of Admissions, Center for Career Development, and other relevant units at the CoL to track and analyze contacts with alumni and to incorporate the entirety of the CoL’s faculty and staff in the CoL’s comprehensive fundraising program.
• Create a structured process for the identification, recruitment, evaluation, recognition, and replacement of volunteers to strengthen fundraising effectiveness, including participating in the recruitment of experienced and diverse leadership on advisory boards and/or committees in order to ensure that these groups are representative of, and responsive to, the communities served.
• Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the comprehensive development program. Evaluate the program using established metrics to produce accurate reports, guide effective decision making, and achieve the vision of UF Advancement Gold Standard Culture (Vision: To Be The Best (TB2), Values: Respect, Accountability, Integrity, Stewardship, and Excellence (R.A.I.S.E.)).
• Support the Dean in his/her role as Chief Development Officer at the CoL. Lead and execute the major gift program, effectively building a pipeline of prospects to ensure future success of the fundraising program. Independently perform identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gift prospects, defined as individual prospects and corporate and foundation prospects with the potential to give $100,000 and above to achieve the mutual interests of the prospects and the CoL.
• Manage relationships through face-to-face visits to bring major gift solicitations from proposal to closure. Travel frequently by automobile. Maintain an acceptable driving record that meets insurance requirements, and an active Florida driver license.
• Work with the development team and the Office of Admissions and Center for Career Development to identify prospects with the potential to give up to $100,000 to the CoL. Develop strategies designed to analyze the connection between volunteer activities and financial contributions and to encourage all volunteers to become donors, in order to increase the percentage of alumni financially contributing to the CoL.
• Build, manage, and lead a high performing team of development professionals. Nurture and/or recruit top talent, provide counsel on matters relating to fundraising, and ensure accountability, including by establishing goals in alignment with unit objects, developing metrics, and engaging in strategic planning. Evaluate staff members, develop a strong sense of teamwork, and establish an environment of mentoring and support.
• Plan and monitor the development budget in consultation with the Dean; ensure best practices in office systems, practices, files, and record keeping; and ensure effective use of strategic tools and resources such as contact reports, prospect management, research, data analysis, and the Advance database.
Perform related duties (as required or deemed appropriate by the Dean) for the accomplishment of CoL’s goals.
• In consultation with the Dean, determine fundraising and alumni procedures pertaining to the CoL
• Assist the Dean and the SrAVP for Development in formulating development policies and procedures pertaining to UF’s development program
Program Direction and Development
• Plan, organize, and implement all programs for the CoL’s development team
• Responsible for:
- Planning and implementing short-and-long term development and alumni programs and strategies
- Designing solicitation strategies on a case-by-case basis, being cognizant of UF Advancement and CoL requirements
- Assisting the Dean and Assistant Vice President (AVP) for Development in the area of fundraising activities
- Assisting in the operation and activities of philanthropy leadership teams
• Regularly communicate with Dean
• Communicate frequently and effectively administrators, faculty members, and staff members
• Coordinate solicitations with CoL Office of Messaging and Outreach and colleagues within UF Advancement
• Lead and foster teamwork
• Maintain meaningful personal contact with prospects, key volunteers, and friends throughout the state
• Majority of solicitations handled involve face-to-face contact
• Contact with alumni and others who meet regularly on campus, such as potential employers of law students, advisory boards, college clubs, etc.
• Properly handle gifts and pledges made to UF
• Possess gifts of cash, securities, checks, and other documents; effect their proper and complete transfer from donors to UF Advancement
• Gifts and pledges are of all amounts