Hazardous Materials Specialist I
Job no: 501166
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Facilities/Skilled Trades, Law/Enforcement/Compliance
Department:71010000 - EHS-ENVR / HLTH / SAFETY-ADMIN
Hazardous Material Specialist I
This position is located in Environmental Health and Safety. The employee will participate in one or more of the following: inspection, pick-up, segregation, packaging or shipment of radioactive and chemical waste from over 1500 UF research labs and various auxiliary operations (physical plant, housing, etc.) to the central processing facility. Employee will be responsible for maintaining the facility in a condition that indicates a high standard of orderliness as well as maintaining records in accordance with local, state, and federal regulation. This position also provides assistance and guidance regarding chemical spills and handling, performs waste sample collection and analysis, includes direct and administrative interaction with outside vendors and university faculty and staff and review of current regulations (local, state and federal) which impact chemical waste disposal.
- Collects, processes and prepares University of Florida Radioactive and Chemical Waste for shipment and disposal.
- Performs tasks related to insuring facility and institutional compliance with permits, licenses and Federal, State and Local regulations.
- Collects and analyses samples for chemical and radioactive materials.
- Maintains records in accordance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Performs inspections as assigned.
- Responds to chemical spills.
- Performs routine cleaning and maintenance of facilities and equipment.
$18.00 - $19.00 per hour
A bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization and one (1) year of appropriate experience.
Appropriate college coursework may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
- One or more years of experience working in the area of chemical and/or radioactive waste management
- Working knowledge of chemistry
- Knowledge of regulations pertaining to chemical and radioactive waste management
- Knowledge of hazardous materials shipping regulations and hazardous materials emergency response procedures
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order be considered for this position, you must upload your:
- Cover letter
- List of References
This position has been reposted previous applicants are
still under consideration and need not to apply.
|Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now